Sunday 28 January 2018

27 January. Another hot day, and our first trip to the movie theater

And also some catching up. S, this is Melboune's equivalent of Freak Alley, though I don't think it's officially sanctioned like Freak Alley has become. Always a little disappointing to get permission, isn't it?
 To the left are our bicycles coming in from the rain on Australia Day. Mine is named Her Majesty, John's is Samson (the name printed on him, and also the shop we purchased them from). Her Majesty is cooler in a retro way, though Samson is much faster and lighter.

And M, since you asked, here's an image of our local library. . I spent a couple of hours there looking through books on local flora, but it's a pretty small collection. I'll need to go to the CBD to the central library for more in-depth information, I expect.  Oh! And they don't have "audio books" here. They have "talking books". So much more awesome.

As the title of this post suggests, we did brave the 41C (107F) weather yesterday to navigate via bus and streetcar (have I said how great the public transportation is?) to the Cinema Nova, what turned out to be a very chic, cool massive set of movie theaters. I mean "cool" in the temperature wayf AND the awesome way. Again. So hot. I have either become a serious heat weenie, or it is really miserably so here. Not always, but often enough. The theater was tres modern. There's a beautiful foyer where you can get no end of exquisite pastries. You can buy a dinner theater or just a theater ticket. We did the latter, and then had wine and a snack afterward in the on-site bar. We definitely want to try the dinner/movie bit on another trip.

As has happened several times, I am a little dismayed by the extent of American influence on the culture here. It feels like it's more responsibility than I'd like to have. I'd estimate that 15 of the 20 movies being shown were American. Many I could see at The Flicks in Boise. John wanted to go to an Australian film, which I was all for until I say the trailer, which looked too violent for my current state of mind. Sigh. We will see ot. I just have to have some time to gird my loins! By the way, we saw The Shape of Water. I can see what all the excitement is about. . . .






No comments:

Almost 2 years later. . .

26 June 2020 We found ourselves in the frenzied housing market of summer 2018 when we returned, so of course, we bought a house. After a...