Thursday 19 July 2018

The End/Beginning of the Journey. . .

The Home Trail
My Dad used to say that the reason you go on vacation is so you can appreciate home. And it's been a rather long "vacation". We've been back in Boise for almost a week now, and I can't tell you how much it feels like home. It's a loose term for us just now, given that we sold our house and most of our stuff. We're staying in an Airbnb townhouse that's an easy walk to the Greenbelt, as well as to a branch library and some local eateries. We just put a contract on a house, in this insane sellers market. Paid too much, probably. But it was right and we were ready.

I can't believe how green Boise looks, given it's July. I'm told it was a cooler-and-wetter-than usual spring and early summer. And while I was dreading heat and/or smoke, so far it's held off for us.
The Boise River ;with Bridge and Greenbelt







I am enjoying the silliest things. Driving in our own car. Walking in our local grocery stores. Eating breakfast on our first day back and running into friends: A Boise Moment. (Well, that's not silly, is it?) Standing, chilly, on our little balcony in the morning. . . 65F, even though the day before and the current day will approach 100F. What a climate!


Who are you, Ms. Yellow?
And guess what. I can't identify all of the flora here, either. I saw this yellow wildflower for the first time today. It's a full 3" across. When I hiked with C in the foothills yesterday, she commented that she had seen a plant for the first time there, too.

Unnamed not unloved, as Rae Chambers famously said.

If I sound a little maudlin, it's only because I'm feeling that way. I do love this place on earth. It's growing too quickly, and it may be unbearable in another twenty years (the lessons of Melbourne), but I just love being here right now.

John and I always tell each other "Be here now". [Related:  "What time is it? It's NOW!] It's not such an easy thing to be here now, but I think it will be easier in the next few months. I'll try not to get jaded and restless. . .to not miss Lacey so much that it overshadows everything else.

I'm closing with an image of a Cottonwood tree. Talk about unappreciated. These trees are so common here; often to the exclusion of other, less heat and drought-tolerate deciduous trees. Their wood is weak. But Holy Mackerel. Do they ever deliver on the shade on the Greenbelt. And habitat. And refuge. They are excellent at being who they are. A goal for all of us? Good Growing. . .

1 comment:

qlz said...

Oenothera? (Oenotheras are very interesting genetically - ring chromosomes, etc.)

Almost 2 years later. . .

26 June 2020 We found ourselves in the frenzied housing market of summer 2018 when we returned, so of course, we bought a house. After a...