Thursday 10 May 2018

. . . GO!

Christening the new flat in Auckland
After a long day of travel, we made it to our new home in Auckland. We're close to several sort of famous places downtown, including the section called Posonby (I know. . . I keep wanting to call it "Poison Ivy") and Katangahapy Road (called the "K-road" for obvious reasons). Both are renown as sort of up-and-coming cool places. Apparently when the Rugby World Cup was held here in 2011, they did quite a buffing-up job on the city. It is most definitely a big city (though about 1/4 the size of Melbourne), but it's remarkably clean, and I couldn't help but notice how new some things, like tunnels and roads, look. There, to the left, is John on our new balcony. Poor guy had to run out by himself to get the wine and some semblance of dinner last night, because my ankle is still giving me grief. Amazing how much longer it takes to heal than it once did!

The manson at Posonby and Hopetoun
Today it was better. Of course, we had to go out immediately and do some serious grocery shopping. I love exploring a new city, but that first bunch of groceries one brings home is such a pain. OK. It's also so much fun. . . the first experience in a new country's grocery store.  And look what we saw on the way! A beautiful old mansion on the corner of Posonby and Hopetoun. And yes, earnest readers, that is a hedge of camellias in full bloom in Autumn.
Camellia close up
Before I completely forget, though, I wanted to finish up my thoughts regarding Melbourne, and more specifically, the extraordinary Park Royale (sorry. . .it's the Royal Park).  If you recall, we lived across the street from The Royal, and it was such a balm to the largeness and noise of the city. There were large fields that hosted everything from Australian Rules Football ("Footy"), Rugby, and the most fun for us, raging hoards of mongel/Authurian type twenty somethings in full medieval-or-something costume. It was some sort of cosplay. I expect younger folks could tell you exactly what it's supposed to be called.

Red Gum canopy
I've also mention the extraordinarily exotic bird species, and their numbers of species and individuals. Oh. And the bats. I love those guys. But while I mentioned the large number of Eucalypt species, I don't think I included many images. These are, I suspect, the trees that inspired Dr. Seuss in some of his books. I don't know that, of course, but you can't look at them and not think that.

Red Gum canopy shape
They are actually often "tuftier" than they look here. They'll have long bare limbs that support a sort of 3 dimensional oval on the ends.


Red Gum trunk, Royal Park











Where Mongol hoards and sport teams play













Royal Park, view from our Landlord's house



Trees. Such Graceful Creatures

















Well, I expect you've all had enough of my waxing romantic about trees, plants, birds, and the whole catastrophe. But imagine if each of us gave so much and took so little. . . . smile.


No comments:

Almost 2 years later. . .

26 June 2020 We found ourselves in the frenzied housing market of summer 2018 when we returned, so of course, we bought a house. After a...