Thursday 3 May 2018

Astonishing

Bourke Street Scene
I had to go downtown to the CBD a couple of days ago for an appointment. I ended up doing a little touring and shopping down there, and suddenly it struck me. I am/have been living in an international city on the other side of the world from where I was born for 4 months now. It all seems so commonplace to us now, but really? It's astonishing. What a privilege. What a chance. What an experience.

There are so many restaurants and shops per square kilometer (note that very urbane metric reference), that I would never be able to visit them all. There are so many cool pieces of architecture, that I would never be able to photograph them all. I am so jaded that sometimes I forget.



Lunching with Gillie and Marc









I showed the the sculpture to the right earlier in this blog, but what I Didn't realize is that Gillie and Marc's dog and rabbit are sitting at a Table For FOUR. How did I not see that? The ladies sitting there got it, and shared their lunch with a bigger-than-life bronze work of art.

I also had a little brush with mortality this past weekend. John and I pedaled down to the Aquarium (one of those must-do things for tourists), and on the way home, I took a curve too fast, and tipped off my bike.


Old Buildings, New Buildings, Wires wires wires
Her Majesty wasn't hurt, but I had a twisted ankle that I initially feared was broken. What potential for a complete calamity!

Trams in Melbourne
Fortunately, it was just twisted, and I was able to limp home, ice it, take more-than-the-usual amount of ibuprofen, and voila. All is well. It was a shot over the bow, though. We have no place to recover and no way to even get to a hospital should something foolish like that happen. It certainly made me realize how very fortunate and healthy we have been. Let's hope that Fortune continues to favor the bold. . . .
Old Buildings, New Buildings, Wires. Again.

I'll close with two more urban photos. . . .



Dome above a Shopping Area

No comments:

Almost 2 years later. . .

26 June 2020 We found ourselves in the frenzied housing market of summer 2018 when we returned, so of course, we bought a house. After a...