Monday 9 April 2018

Bat Spotting

The time change (Fall Back) here has changed our nightly walking view in The Royal Park. Earlier in the season, it was all about the birds. . lorakeets and galahs and Ibis. Now, we routinely see bats (called Flying Foxes here) on our evening walks, which we take between dusk and sunset.

This isn't a photo I took, but very much what it looks like. These are large fruit bats (wingspan 2-3'), which are apparently endangered. I can't tell you how my heart leaps in my chest when we see one. . . or two or three. Sometimes they're flying quite high, and John has to be the primary spotter; but usually if we're patient, some will come quite a bit lower, especially as the evening progresses.

Of course, I wanted to know more about these guys before I wrote, and look what I found! Check out the video link below. Sure to bring wonder and a smile!
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/orphaned-baby-fruit-bats-find-motherly-love.php

This reminds me of the lady in Meridian who was nursing hurt and orphaned baby squirrels back to health in her garage. It's not the logic of it. . .it's the love.

You will find mixed opinions here about the bats. People have to cover their fruit trees here religiously and completely, or the bats will eat them. They are also voracious nectar eaters, and hence pollinators of many native species of plant here. Apparently there's a place here where the bats come out by the hundreds at dusk. . I need to find out where that is. It could be an Austin-like bat experience, but with much bigger (and likely fewer) bats.

The time change has brought about some inconveniences. We now have 2 more hours more separating us for talking to the daughters and John's students back home. It's not something we had thought about, and certainly not thought through.

Another fun fact: Orion (the constellation) is seen in the summer and is upside down here. It's funny that one doesn't initially notice it. We key on those three stars-in-a-row, right? But if you look carefully, you'll see that Orion's legs are upward, and he's clubbing his prey upside down! Look for Canis Major and Canis Minor, and it's the same deal. This is not to cast judgement, of course. Smile.

We've been asked if the toilets go round the other way (anti-clockwise?) and here's the truth: The toilets flush straight down and very quickly with great force! Ha. It's a completely different mechanisms than the one we use, so it's impossible to tell.

Finally, I thought I'd confess a few things for the record.  I miss things from home. I miss being able to buy a bottle of Ibuprofen (it's all sold in blister packs here; and is relatively expensive). I miss Chex Mix (how goofy is that?). I miss real corn chips. I miss pickle relish (goofier yet, but I make my own by chopping up pickles). I miss quiet dark nights. I miss not smelling cigarette smoke. I miss our friends, one and all. And of course, I miss our small sweet family.

No comments:

Almost 2 years later. . .

26 June 2020 We found ourselves in the frenzied housing market of summer 2018 when we returned, so of course, we bought a house. After a...