Wednesday 25 April 2018

Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef (GBR)

I have snorkeled before, though it's been a long time. But I do remember the wonder of that window into another world. That experience so many years ago in the Caribbean, though, did not prepare me for this.The photo to the left is not mine, but one I could have taken if I was sufficiently skilled. I made a decision not to rent a water proof camera for a couple of reasons. 1. Taking pictures takes you out of "now" and into the future, and 2. I don't have the filters, or frankly the skill to capture the GBR. This image, though, starts to capture the amazing density of it all. Density of species: There were literally dozens of different corals of varying sizes, shapes and colors. There were likewise dozens. . .maybe hundreds. . . of different fishes of varying sizes, shapes and colors.I saw two sharks. I saw schools and schools. Individuals. One large (14"?) Parrot Fish that turned on his side as I floated over him to get a better look at me.

Second snorkeling stop.
 The coral itself forms mounds, or little mountains for lack of a better description. Some are a few feet below the surface, but some of them were so close to the surface that I was afraid that my flippers might graze them as I swam over them.

Another big difference in this experience vs the Caribbean is that the water is choppy. It takes some effort both to propel yourself, and to keep steady amid the choppiness of the water. It also takes a couple of hours to get out to the reef; also through rough-ish water, so small boats can't get out to where we went. Our boat was run by a local outfit called Passions of Paradise (you can't make this stuff up. . .), and carried 80 or so passengers.

Prow of the Passions of Paradise III enroute
It's harder to see in the above photograph than it was in real life; but the place where we put in for the second snorkeling session is that mottled looking water toward the horizon. The white spots in the sea beyond it are water breaking over the shallowest part of the reef. There's no land in view in any direction at this point.

To the left is the prow of the boat as we were going out. As you can surmise, most of the passengers were on the younger-than-us side. And it continues to stun me how many folks continue to lay out in the sun. What are they thinking? Would I have done this if I had known about premature aging skin and skin cancer? Maybe. Youth is a funny thing, isn't it? Even bright people do stupid things.

On our last snorkeling adventure, we were with a Caribbean guy who had a catamaran and took a dozen folks out to the reef at a time. It was more personal, of course, but as I said: That trip wouldn't have been possible to this part of the reef.

Storm brewing to the Southeast
On the way back into Cairns, there was a storm that came up suddenly. We had a lot of wind, but the rain didn't hit us, and by the time we got into Cairns, it was clear.
Mast and Sky

Coming back to Port











No comments:

Almost 2 years later. . .

26 June 2020 We found ourselves in the frenzied housing market of summer 2018 when we returned, so of course, we bought a house. After a...